|The Boston Society of Architects purchased 52 Broad Street in 1989 and renovated the building into the headquarters for the BSA. 52 Broad Street, built in 1855, was one of the few buildings to survive the Great Boston Fire of 1873. Built as a merchantile building to store, roast, grind and sell coffee, the words Columbia Spa and the date 1929 were engraved at the main entrance. All details of the renovation were required to be reviewed and approved by the Boston Landmarks Commission since the building was within the Broad Street Historic District. The roof slate, copper and wood windows were replaced to meet historical standards. The Boston Society of Architects selected Dennis C. Rieske, AIA to be the architect for the BSA renovation.
|BSA's Board of Directors were able to obtain a substantial number of manufacturers to donate, or reduce, the cost of construction materials and labor. Shawmut Design & Construction provided construction management throughout the project. Marvin Windows donated the wood replacement windows. The Vermont Slate Company sent their best construction crew to Boston to install the new slate roof. CWC Builders purchased and installed the new stairs. The renovation of 50-52 Broad Street was a cooperative effort of the architects, contractors, and manufacturers to create a new home for the Boston Society of Architects.